Khairy was here...

No matter how small, each man has his own story to tell...

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Right to Free Practice of Religion

Assalamu Alaikum w.b.t.

Last year, I was able to apply in my present office a research I had done during my stay in the Department of Social Welfare & Development, specifically an office policy allowing the free practice of Islam and the observance of Muslim holidays.

It's probably common knowledge that Muslim holidays are oberved by both Muslims and Christians in the ARMM, but not in the majority of the areas outside the autonomous region. But due to my insistence (because Muslims pray on Fridays, and I always end up losing hours in my timekeeping whenever I go out to to the nearest Masjid* for the Friday prayer), I discovered that Civil Service rules allow Muslims to go out during Fridays to pray, not just within the ARMM. The catch is to have an office policy signed by the head of the agency.

I am referring to CSC Resolution No. 81-1277, and it also recognizes the Muslim holidays wherein Muslim employees should not be deducted for being absent. Also, there is a prescribed special schedule for Muslims who fast during the Holy Month of Ramadhan. I've worked in two government offices thus far, and both did not have such a policy although they have Muslim personnel in their respective rosters. I guess me being in HR is a calling (I am tasked to advise all government offices to apply this ruling for the sake of my brothers and sisters in Islam! Allahuakbar!) .

:-)

So if anyone out there comes across my blog, and is interested in having a copy of the office order that I had approved, please feel free to post a comment below. I'm still trying to figure out how I can be accomodated office space for prayer, 'coz right now, for the 2 to 3 prayers during office hours everyday, I pray inside the stock room as it is the only viable area for me.

By the way, the Philippine Constitution should be enough legal support for the private sector to provide such mechanisms. Muslims should be allowed to pray during Fridays, to observe a special schedule during Ramadhan, and to observe Muslim holidays.

Wassalaam.

*Please refrain from using the word Mosque and instead use the politically-correct term Masjid, as the word Mosque means mosquitos and was commonly used by Crusaders during the Medieval Period. They basically used the term to refer to a place where Muslims gather, for them to swat the Muslims like mosquitos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home